Yes! You are welcome to come to a practice and try roller derby. Your skater can borrow the necessary pads and skates for that practice from Riptide Rollers. We may ask that the skater's parents sign a medical release form. If you do not have insurance, your skater can be covered during practice for a nominal fee.
Music in Motion
1341 College Park Rd
Summerville, SC 29483
Riptide Rollers communicate via email and Facebook. Once you have registered, you will be added to the Riptide Rollers email list and Facebook parents group.
Maintaining attendance at practice is very important, but we understand there are times your skater must be absent. Please understand that missing practices only slows your child’s progress. This can be frustrating to kids and their teammates. That being said, Riptide Rollers is a full participation league so “benching” a player for missing practice will not occur, but members of the all star team are required to make a certain number of practices in the month preceding a bout or they will not be included on the roster. Please let the coaches know if you will miss practice, as it helps them plan practice activities.
We ask that our girls and boys maintain a fun and unique style while staying modest and age-appropriate. All gear must be in good condition and fit properly (referees will check before every scrimmage or bout). In general, we ask:
● No bare legs above the knee. Floor burns are brutal, take a long time to heal and can become infected. Legs covered with tights, leggings, long shorts, or pants are required. Pants must not get in the way of skating.
● Skirts and shorts MUST be as long as or longer than the tip of a skaters fingers when the arms are resting at their sides. Skirts should NOT be longer than knee length to prevent tripping.
● Sagging of pants or other clothes will not be allowed.
● Clothes with words or messages that are deemed inappropriate by the coach will not be allowed.
● No low cut shirts, bra tops or bare midriffs.
Any skater violating the dress code policy will not be allowed to practice, skate or scrimmage.
A skater who is not fully geared up will NOT SKATE.
No jewelry is allowed as it poses a safety threat to the person wearing it and anyone else on the floor. Please remove all jewelry before arriving at practice or bouts.
No gum, candy, food or drink (except water) is allowed during practice. This also poses a safety risk for skaters.
We encourage skaters to attend open skate sessions at any of the local skate rinks.
Yes! And a number too. Skaters may choose a name with the help of their coach. Please ask your child to be very thoughtful about choosing their name. Names may not contain profanities or sexually explicit wording. Numbers must follow the format allowed by the JRDA/WFTDA rule set. We will not be registering names nationally. Please submit all names/numbers to your coach for approval.